Sunday, July 08, 2007

So here goes with pictures again. Since Karly hasn't posted any of the pictures from Japan yet I figured that I needed to start. Here's the first sampling. Picture number 1 is a very very very long stairway which leads to a shrine of some sort in Nago. All of the trees in the canopy are Sakura Yoshimo Cherries. they are just starting to bloom.

The second photo is from a pergola type thing at the Ocean Expo Park west of Nago. The park lays claim for having the 2nd larges aquarium in the world. We did visit the aquarium but have no pictures as we didn't want to carry the camera.

The third picture is another of the clear and wonderful days (of which there were only a handful). It is at the Okuma Beach resort for US DOD only. Have I mentioned I love the Army.
Picture 4 is again at the Ocean expo park. the silouetted statues are Shisa. They are on pillars at the entrance to the park and are there to ward off evil people and evil spirits. The Shisa or Shi Shi are unique to Okinawa. Many people mistake these as "foo dogs" which are totally different in design and symbolism not to mention foo dogs are chinese not Japanese. They serve a similar purpose though. Actually Shisa are generally not even Japanese the legend of the Shisa and the production of these lion dogs is unique to Okinawa.