Before the mid 1950s, there was no “retirement” as we
use the term today. A 1950 poll showed most workers
aspired to work for as long as possible. Quitting was
for the disabled. Life did not offer “twilight years,”
two decades of uninterrupted leisure courtesy of the
U.S. taxpayer.
Just since 1960, the percentage of men over 65
still working has dropped by half. And the average
retirement age keeps falling. It’s down to 62, which
gives the average man 18 years to be retired in its
current meaning. It is not unusual to see people ending
their careers in their mid-fifties.
This is one of the monumental changes in the fabric
of society wrought by the government, that has so
altered the integrity of the people.
As someone on a payroll until the age of 79, and now
employed on a non-compensated basis, I came to
see that I was regarded as something of a freak. Was
I trying to set some sort of record? Had I failed to
accumulate a large enough estate?
There seemed to be some feelings too that I was
somehow un-American, and a poor reflection on a
generation that is supposed to be enjoying the good
life.
Observing my generation opt for leisure, I see all sorts
of adaptations. One described his life in Florida as
meeting the same three golfers on the first tee at the
same time each day for nine holes, then lunch in the
club house, nine holes after lunch, shower, gin and
tonic, and then back to the condo to dress for dinner.
When asked if this was the routine for every day, he
said, “No, I help my wife clean on Tuesday.”
This is what I’m supposed to aspire to?
Another friend, in answer, said “I sleep as late as I can
because I don’t know what to do when I get up.”
The remark heard most frequently is “I’ve been so
busy since I retired, I don’t know how I ever had time
for my job” or “Retirement is so wonderful, I should
have retired sooner.”
At this point it might be in order to ask--”Busy doing
what?”
Many of those who retire at 55, 60, 65, or 70 are some
of the most experienced, knowledgeable, and capable
people in the workforce. Rather than occupying
positions that might be available to younger people,
they could be creating and expanding job opportunities
for others.
There is a sense of self-worth that comes from
working to a purpose that is essential to well-being,
whether the task involves major responsibility or
physical exertion, as both require diligence and daily
attendance.
How did we come to this slough of despondency?
Like so many of our present disorders, it was the siren
call of the great white father in Washington: “Come
unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden and I
will give you rest.”
With Social Security, Medicare, and public pensions,
the government has created a large new class of
dependents who see no necessity to save or to accept
responsibility for themselves, their offspring, or their
parents.
As this fatally flawed scheme proceeds toward
disaster, the beneficiaries are so insistent that their
benefits be maintained and are such a strong political
force, that few congressmen have the temerity to say
publicly what everyone knows: payments cannot be
sustained. Those who are working are paying benefits
that will not be available to themselves.
Buddha on his deathbed admonished his followers
to, above all, observe strenuousness. How strange
that sounds in today’s world. Our culture denies this
essential virtue to our seniors, who have become
dilettantes.
As we observe able-bodied citizens hiking the malls
or sampling the midnight buffets on the cruise ships,
we are struck by their purposelessness, and the
overwhelming boredom they manifest. There is no
need to arise in the morning, or any necessity to go
to bed on time. Their reason for existence has ceased.
They have lost the respect of those who support them,and lost their self-respect in the process.
A story is told of one who had led a long and eventful
life. When the time came to cross the deep lake, he
was pleased with the skiff and the oarsman as well
as his welcome and the accommodations furnished
him. The surroundings were beautiful, the weather
pleasant, and the food more than adequate. After a
few weeks, he wanted to try his hand at gardening
again, but that could not be arranged. After repeated
requests to work in the dining hall or on the grounds,
he cried in exasperation, “This is no better than Hell.”
The reply came from above, “Where did you think
you were?”
Irving Babbitt reflected on the nature of work, how
it was seen in the past as a God-given calling, and
indeed served to define a person. With the loss of
vocation has come a loss of identification.
To remedy this loss does not require legislation or
public awareness. The solution is within the grasp of
everyone who has decided to continue to be productive.
It often means a change in occupation. It may mean
giving up benefits and accepting a lower wage, or no
wage at all. But a reason for living, and a retention of
identity, are surely sufficient remuneration.
-William Diehl
I'd like to comment on this. I agree for the most part. The 65 year old retirement age was a date set based on the average life span of a man in the 1950's. We have seen a steady rise in average age at death since then until recently it started going back down again. There may be a few reasons for that. First, we're not healthy anymore. The average retired American male is overweight and lives a sedentary life. Then they retire and have no job to keep them active. It's no wonder the average retired Soldier only lives 10 years after they leave the service. That's right, only 10 years and that means the retired Soldier on average only hits 55-60 years old. Why so young? If you've been active as the military requires and you run regularly and then just quit, your body will do the same. When you've been working hard for a long time and then just stop, your body will too. There's nothing to live for. Of course there are exceptions to everything so some will linger on despite the odds.
The most dangerous truth stated about this article is the tremendous financial burden that the huge unproductive class puts on the society. In the next few years we'll have millions of people doing nothing and getting paid for it. How exactly does that help society?
I'll be the first to admit I like the idea of retirement and then drawing a pension for the rest of my life. But I will also tell you that I do not plan to do nothing as so many seem to want. I look at traveling the world, writing books, buying a farm and raising animals, running a bed and breakfast and building the worlds largest playground. I have ambitions which I will only be able to do with a pension.
The lack of ambition and productivity is a crime to society. Sure there's people without jobs right now. Many of them are just too lazy to try and are enjoying living off the state. Someone who can't make ends meet is probably doing something wrong with their financial management. It's not usually a lack of work or effort, it tends to be fiscal irresponsibility which causes poor people to remain poor.
America has become our own worst enemy. We are generally lazy and only moderately productive. If we are to survive we must become the industrious nation of our history.
Monday, June 08, 2009
Posted by Paul at 08:52
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|