So I am doing my best to now update weekly. Two days ago (sunday night) I had the fortunate experience of going to multiple events. Unfortunately I tend to be overbooked even during the weekends. e.g. Sunday at 4:30 I was supposed to be playing Ultimate frisbee and at our churches fall festival at the same time, then at 5ish I was supposed to be at dinner at my friend Becky's house then and 6PM was student supper at MELCAMESIA which I usually go to. Then at around 7:00 the group of us over 21 usually leave the student supper to do some "fellowship" at Welch Ave. Station (a local pub). Of course I couldn't do all of that so I chose three things to do. First I went to the picnic which was great fun for playing with the kids of the congregation and hanging out with some international students. I left that at 5:30 for dinner in Nevada, IA at Becky's house which was as usual very tasty, then while we were at dinner my spontaneity kicked in. Tami one of the 2nd year vet students was at dinner as well and mentioned a flying lesson that evening at 7:30 and asked if anyone wanted to go along. Being who I am I of course said yes. The plane was a Piper Warrior a four seater prop plane. It was distinctively the smallest plane I've ever been in. Our plan for the evening was to fly to DesMoines land, then go back up and continue the pattern of two touch and go's then head back to Ames. It was really fun!!! On the approach to DesMoines being in a small plane flying fairly low was really neat. You could look out both sides of the plane and see the lights below. The approach put us practically flying over downtown and you could see the gold dome of the IA capitol lit up for the night. I'd always thought it would be cool to do the whole touch and go thing and now I can say I've actually done it I think it was necessary to do some more landings as Tami proved to also show me the roughest landing I've ever felt as well. For years I've said I wanted to get my helicopter pilot liscense but I can also say it would be fun to be a pilot. Talk about exhilirating. I don't think it's in the cards for the near future but heck, I'm still young! On approach back into Ames, I want to point out that the vet school is huge as it looks on the ground but it doesn't get any smaller from in the air. Ames looks kind of funny from the air, unlike many towns which seem to be a somewhat square or circular shape of lights Ames seemed to be more of a spider shape or octopus. It was kind of funny looking. I'm hoping to have to opportunity to go up again in the daytime and night when I have my camera available to take some pics.
I know I promised to put my summer pics up on here a lot but I have yet to get that figured out so hopefully it will come soon.
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
Posted by Paul at 01:08
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|