Saturday, July 24, 2004

Yesterday we spent the day visiting a farm 50Km west of Goiania.  These are some of the nicest people I´ve met in Brasil, they open up their minds and houses to us with the utmost delight.  I hope that we can help them.
Campinas, GO BR.  This spot is not within the Amazon river basin which makes the possibilities for production less but yet there is quite a diverse ecosystem there.  It´s the closest I´ve seen to the Pantanal biome away from western Brasil (the actual Pantanal).  A good amount of the terrain that is in reserve is wetlands.  In one location there was a chain of man made canals but the situation was unusual.  There were two breaks in the chain where man had rerouted the rerouted water.  This made the chains quite unusual so we had to explore them on foot to see what was going on.  Three of us went to explore this while the others went by landrover to discover other water.  Vanderleigh, our guide and I covered quite a distance on foot but to explore the area at one point we had to get into the water.  I was hesitant because I was wearing my hiking boots but there was no other option and the ground wasn´t suitable for no shoes.  Thus I got in.  This area is known for having anacondas as well, actually the nearby river is named anaconda(the portuguese word).  This of course made me nervous but the assured me that the snakes only hang out at the best watering places for wildlife.  I wanted to see one (not in a first hand struggle) but apparently they are not so easy to find.  After a short distance in the water we walked on land.  This was also not good as my feet and shoes were wet, but fortunatley my boots fit properly so there was no rubbing to mess my feet up too much.  To sum up the day, I discovered chiggers, was hiking through water and in wet shoes, and had fresh peccary meat for lunch at one of the farmers houses.  It was a great day. 
Now I am in Anapolis where we are stuck until the Land Rover gets fixed.  We gave them three hours and they said it would be done (I hope they are right). This afternoon we drive to Diorama and meet up with the rest of the crew for our trip to Wedera village.