Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The thing about Texas is that it makes you feel like you're at home. I remember driving back from Wisconsin last weekend and hearing Garrison Keeler (sp?) speaking from Alabama when he said "in the south the people invite you in and are hospitable and nice, in the north we do the same but we don't really mean it." I think that's the truth maybe it's the weather but it seems that life is better in the south and in this particular instence I don't mean South America as I usually do.
So in case you haven't guessed yet, I'm in Texas on yet another trip. This time it was spured on by the Student AVMA symposium in College Station. I won't say much but I will gloat on a couple of restaurants that my g/f and I have visited. Only two, the first was in Ft. Worth just off of I-35 is a place that has a big oil rig next to it. It's called the Rig Steakhouse. I strongly suggest going there. The steak was wonderful and the service excellent. Karly got an 8oz filet and I had a 12oz KC strip both came with sides and a full salad bar. The total bill was just under $16. AMAZING. The second boast is the Chicken Oil Company on College in Bryan, TX. It's has a disconcerting outside as it looks like an old machine shed completely patched up with rusty old signs. You walk in and it's a Texas playground with a huge trophy collection including no less than three large elk a bison and a moose rack. The place had a huge fireplace and you would think it was like a hunting lodge but I wouldn't have felt bad about chucking peanut shells on the floor. It was more like a fast food restaurant which you ordered and picked up at the counter. We each had a 1/2 lb. burger on a butter toasted bun with the works, fries and a HUGE tea. Total bill $12. I think the best thing on the menu might have been the death burger (guaranteed nasty) but I was afraid to try it. Maybe next time.
Yesterday we visited Jason Alexander (Helens former boy toy) and introduced Karly to Hibachi and Sushi at Kobe in Spring Texas (link to Karly's blog for comments and observations) and then drove down to Galveston on the coast for the night. That is all for now.