Good morning everyone!! It's 7:30AM and I'm not feeling too well today. I have a nasty cough but I'm feeling better than yesterday. I've been on Pseudoephedrine and Cipro for 2 days trying to get over this foreign bug. It's one of the downsides of being a naive host in a foreign land.
I've got a bit of catching up to do on this I don't know how much I will be able to do right now but I will try. The last you heard from me we were in Kyiv. Taking off from where I believe I left off. The town we visited to go to a dairy farm was Periaslav. Apparently there is a lot of history in that town but we didn't get much since we spent the whole day out in the country looking at a dairy and crop farm. It was a good day. The next day we left for Dnipropetrovsk which was in my opinion the heart of soviet times. It is to this day rare for foreigners to visit Dnipropetrovsk and we had to register in order to be there but things there were quite different than in Kyiv or Lviv. The history of Dnipropetrovsk is of manufacturing of all sorts but specifically rockets and the space program. This is where they designed and manufactured all of the missiles used during the cold war and they still manufacture a large number of satellites (direct Russian translation for satellite is Sputnik) for different countries. We went to the missile museum where we got a wonderfull history of the cold war balistic missile development. It got really scary after a short while when we were discussing some of the missiles which would carry as many as 18 warheads with dummies and steel needles (~2 million) to form a cloud so they couldn't be detected during flight. Yikes!!
The second day in Dnipropetrovsk we took a tour of the agriculture college and the city and then visited a very large farm called Arpo CoIO3 or Agro Soios. I have only a couple of seconds left before the bus departs so this will be short.
The next day we visited a large Mine and a few of the last Kossac relics and monuments and departed for Simperople.
We are now in Simperople and about to depart for Yalta.
I hope all is well on the home front.
Sunday, May 23, 2004
Posted by Paul at 13:34
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|