Thursday, May 06, 2004

My countdown to finals ending continues with 7 of 8 being done as of thirty minutes ago. Tomorrow I have pharmacology which should be pretty fun. Todays exam was reminicient of pulling teeth. The whole thing was multiple choice but not necessarily short answers. The questions were very nitpicky and many of the choices had short essays to review and decide which was the most correct. Nedless to say it took a long time to thoroughly work through each question until I was sure of having the correct answer (at least sure in my head).

A couple of funny things happend today as I was studying or at least trying to. I went out on my porch this morning to catch the morning sunshine drink my coffee and eat my eggs in the warm spring breeze when I noticed that my sunglasses were missing a nosepad. This was disturbing as I had both yesterday. I guess things just get lost. I supposeI lost it during my bike ride from the vet school to my trailer since it wasn't anywhere close to the glasses (though the cats could have found it and lost it subsequently as well). Anyway, I decided that it would be cheaper to get a replacement nose pad than to get a whole new pair. Thus my quest began. I hopped into my car and drove to Kmart where I thought I might find a cheap pair to steal the pads off of. What I found amazed me. The cheapest pair was $9.99. That's when I thought to myself "I should find an optometrist office where they can replace them for me, it's got to be cheaper". So, I headed to the dreaded mall (I don't like malls) guessing that they would have a Pearl or something. The mall came through for me. I walked up to the counter and asked if they could help me with my sunglasses. That's when Megan responded "you're Paul Hester aren't you?" This stunned me as I have never been to the mall nor had I ever seen this woman before to my knowledge. Of course I needed an explanation so I asked. It turned out I had met her for about thirty seconds at the VIVM conference five weeks ago. She is married to a fellow vet med student and friend named John Shepherd. Continuing on with the glasses. She took them and started fiddling with them to remove the remaining nose piece for replacement when the attachment broke off (oops). This short repair keeps getting longer. She then takes the glasses down to a jewler in the mall, who works with them on a give and take basis, to get them soldered. She comes back and throws a dollar bill on the table and says "it'll be about a half hour go get yourself a cookie." So I go and get a cookie and waste about twenty minutes looking at minidisc recorders in Radioshack. I return and they're finished and they end up doing it for free.

The adventure continues back at home. After my extended break I get home and decide to continue studying on my porch. Spuds and Trixie meanwhile are sitting at the screen door begging to come out. So I oblige. I grab Spud's harness and put the neck band on then the chest band but of course, as this morning has been going, the chest band doesn't fit my monsterous cat anymore. I extended it with a leather strap I happen to have sitting on my kitchen table and bring him outside. He wanders around for a couple minutes scared out of his wits because they never go outside then he decides to jump off the porch. This was not the wisest of decisions considering the length of his leash compared with the distance to the ground. He jumps off and I hear this yelp. I jump over the side rail to make sure he's ok. He was dangling safely off the side with his back toes touching the ground. He looked up at me with big yellow eyes and lets out a little "meow" as if to say help, dope or I feel stupid now. I put him back up on the porch and he runs to the door and starts pawing to go back in. I don't know yet whether he will have any desire to go outside again but only time will tell.
That's my funny stories for the day. I must now go and study pharmacology. Tomorrow I deliver the "grandkitties" to my parents somewhere along I-80 *sniff*sniff* I'll miss them while I'm gone for the summer.