Today was amazing!!
Though it started out a little hairy, and I forgot to bring my lunch, the day was awesome. This morning at 0800 I got a phone call saying that my 1000 meeting had been bumped up to 0830. So I ran out the door and of course forgot to bring lunch.
I arrived in time to print the slides for a later briefing and a copy of my ORB. I headed upstairs and had my initial counseling. Now for most officers the initial counseling is with their first line boss aka their rater. Sometimes it's with the head of a Unit or Company Commander, not for me. Today's initial counseling was with a General Officer. This really didn't bother me as I have come to realize through talking to GO's and working with them, that they should be respected but not put on a pedestal. I've known some Soldiers who quiver and shake at the idea of coming before me as a lowly Captain, let alone a General. So moving on, the counseling was great, I think he did more talking than I did as I asked many questions of him and tried to get as much advice in our short time as I could. After talking with me he's thinking of putting in for Fort Riley again (he was there before). So we parted ways.
I went downstairs and found out that my briefing for the day was pushed back to 1000 so I had some time to check on email and a couple of things. Then it was off to brief.
I was told that I should do the brief, and I think it was for good reason, so this morning was my first time ever briefing a General.
This too went extremely well. He was highly impressed by my presentation and actually is asking us to present it again (with a few tweaks) for the entire Command and Staff group. Because of my rank in the situation, I will not be doing the latter briefing, but it was well known how the information and format got put together.
I'm not trying to gloat here but I'm extatic about the days events.
And to leave you with a fun note of my adventures and to add anecdote to my previous post, I have decided that a picture is truly worth a thousand words so here it is.
Thursday, February 07, 2008
Posted by Paul at 18:57
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|