Saturday, January 21, 2006

I got all nostalgic tonight.
This evening Karly and I went to see End of the Spear, a movie about first contact with an indiginous tribe in Equador. All I can say is that it brought back memories and a sincere desire to go back to Brasil and visit my Xavante friends. It's been too long since I've been there. I can only hope that upon my return that Ci da Nares is still alive so I can visit my old friend who was there at the Xavante first contact in 1947. I still remember one of my favorite moments was sitting on a hill by Rio das Mortes fishing for bait pirhania with Ci da Nares by my side coaching me. We were casting the line with no rod (as it should be done IMHO). After about 10 casts and 3 fish I felt something funny. Then I stood up and started dancing around as I started feeling little pricks all over my legs. Ci da Nares just laughed and laughed, then he came over and helped brush the ants off of me and gave me the words of advice. If you're going to sit on an ant hill don't wear long pants.

I really want to go back. Of all the people I have met around the world the Xavante are the most sincere and amazing people I know. Their vast knowledge of the earth amazed me and I long to learn more of it. I hope to return soon.