Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I have been in Iguape for two days. This has been a resting period but I have done a little work on helping Paulo with a couple of projects and I’ve edited the paper on the Xavante to be presented in Paris in July. It was written by Gonzalo but the problem is he was translating it from Paulo’s writing in Portuguese and as he went the translation got worse. I’m guessing it’s because thirty pages of translation is a lot and he probably did it in one or two days. So I must thank my father and sister for spending all of those years teaching me to edit papers. Last night we had a guest over for dinner with us. Her name is Macia (sp?) and she is also a veterinarian and a very beautiful one at that, I believe the word in Portuguese is gostosa, not to mention she is about my age. We had dinner and watched the third Lord of the Rings. I was afraid to watch the third before watching the first two but I followed the plot fairly well. Now I need to go back and watch the other two. I have to wonder how the other in the room perceived the movie as it was in English with Portuguese subscripts. Paulo probably got the most out of it as his English is the best of all of them but even I had trouble figuring out what some of the characters were saying. This morning was again a time to sleep in. We needed to get the Land rover in for repairs but Paulo didn’t do it yesterday so we had to drop it off today and of course it wasn’t done when we needed it to go to the farm. Thus we stay here again tonight. He also showed me the off road vehicle that is being built for us to use in the Xavante reserve. It is quite interesting; he has rigged a former Jeep chassis up with four equally sized tractor tires about 4 feet tall. He is also going to add ballast tanks so it can be amphibious but I’m not worried about buoyancy as much as stability when it’s in the water. It supposedly will run 60Kph on land but I’m thinking it will be scary to run this thing that fast. It truly looks like one of those junkyard wars vehicles. Of course I will take a picture and post it here in August. This evening Paulo’s wife brought me to the beach which is about one kilometer away. (I can’t believe I’m getting so used to using the metric system). We had to pick up Macia (sp?), some oysters and Guarana (my favorite Brazilian drink (yes I do like it better than caipirhinia)) for dinner. And that’s it for now.