Saturday, June 26, 2004

I´m back in Sau Paulo at Gonzalos house. Things haven´t been very exciting for a while but it is likely things will pick back up soon. We took Paulo to the airport this afternoon for a flight up to the Amazon where he is teaching a course to another indiginous group. I would have liked to go but tickets within Brazil have skyrocketed in price recently and it would have cost about $700 to get there so I opted out. He is also assesing a new project on another reserve up there where the peccaries are eating all of the peoples food. The reserve is 3.3Million Hectares yes that´s correct 3.3Million. If this project works out it could be a huge asset for Pro-Fauna. I got the chance to call home yesterday from Iguape and it was good to hear my families voices even though dad wasn´t very responsive.
Now I shall write a little about driving in Sao Paulo. Compare it to driving in Chicago or LA (not NY because there arent as many traffic jams) but get rid of the traffic laws. People drive in between lanes the motorcycles go down the stripes and stop signs are more like yield signs. The whole city is built in the mountains so you´re constantly going up and down hills which are sometimes very steep, and of course automatic transmissions are a rarity so you have to leave space for people to roll or use the hand brake to hold while you rev the engine. That´t all the time for the moment. Next I shall discuss driving in the rest of the country.
Ciao