Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I'm back. It looks like it will be easier to find internet from here on out and I should have a little more time on my hands. Last night we left for the border city Shemuchel (I know I butchered that one) it's directly west of Lviv. We crossed the border into Poland at about 9AM. We caught the 11:45AM train to Krakow after about an hour and a half layover which gave us some time to look around the old town. The border city was quite beautiful. There were a number of churches in the area and at least one monestary. The town is built in a valley so the streets were fairly steep and tiring but we pushed our way through the old town. I have a few pictures to share later.

Going back I'll tell my little story about the last day in Kyiv. We went to Adrievski street which is the main art market. It's a beautiful street built on the hill leading down to the Dnipro river. This street is the home of many artists and poets and I understand the inspiration after being there. Anyway, we went to the Ukrainian historical museum which wan't especially interesting and then we split up into small groups for the rest of the day (10AM-6PM). There was a major holiday going on while we were there the weekend is known as Kyiv Day but the national holiday is "Trinity Day" I'm not sure that's exactly right but it's what I was told. To explain it's not about God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit but a celebration of the 3 angels who came to Mary to give her the good news of her pregnancy with Jesus. But anyway it was Sunday and the whole town seemed to be downtown with extremely crowded streets. My small group ended up being myself and Tanya whom I mentioned earlier. I was happy to go with Tanya as she is really a neat person so my shout out goes to Tanya if she reads this I say HI!!!!;) Moving on we went to find a traditional Ukrainian shirt for me and found one but walked away to find something for cheaper (we ended up going back). As we walked down the street I heard my name being shouted above the crowd. Not knowing it was for me I ignored it but then I got tapped on the shoulder by Helen and Ann two more Ukrainian ladies who proceeded to join the group. We went on down the street fighting the crowd and attempting to see the vendors with there many beautiful hand made works of art and towards the bottom of the hill we ran into another three Ukrainian ladies who were looking for our group (the Americans) not us specifically. So they joined us too. Thus it ended up being myself and six beautiful Ukrainian ladies showing me the town. I could have died and gone to heaven. We found our way back to the group after about an hour and then the group split up again. I went with Helen and Ann to see a battle demonstration which was all out swordfighting in armor it was really cool but when we got back the majority of the group had left for Krushtadik street and it was once again just myself and a group of Ukrainians. Tanya had left earlier since she had been at a birthday party till 4AM the night before so she needed sleep and the three who joined latest decided to go home so I hung out with Helen and Ann. We had a wonderfull time going around the city. I don't know if they'll get a chance to read this either but if they do my thanks go out to Helen and Ann for an afternoon well spent. I'll write you soon (It'll probably be from Brazil).

Back to the present. We are currently in Krakow and have walked around the old town and up to the castle. We wanted to go to Auchwitz and the salt mine but with only one day in this town it seems unlikely. I guess I will have to come back and visit again some time. If anyone out there has suggestions for what to do in Prague now is the time as we leave Krakow tomorrow June 2 at 11PM for Czechoslovokia. Once again keep me and my friends in your prayers for safe travel.