Sunday, August 13, 2006

Getting Closer

I have shown significant improvement every time I take the DAPFT. That's the point though, it's diagnostic so you can find out how you're doing. The story of my getting back in shape starts back in January after the wedding.

At Karly and my wedding I will admittedly say that I was significantly overweight. It was the first time im my life that I had surpassed the 200 mark on some scales and I wasn't happy about that. So starting three days after the wedding things were changing. Some of it was necessity, some happenstance.

It started with my ICU block. Four weeks of intensive stress and standing pretty much the entire 12 hour shifts. I was down to about 190 by the end of January.

Then I went to my active duty training. I had to workout because I needed to take my first DAPFT before leaving. At the end of the five weeks I was at 191, SU 42, PU 33, 2M run 20:43 of which none of these numbers are passing. Passing scores for my age are SU 50, PU 40, and 2M run 16:36.

Then came graduation. That was not good for my belly. By the middle of May I was back up to 195. But I was working out and doing my best to diet for the couple weeks prior to OBLC.

When I arrived at OBLC I weighed in at 190. The first DAPFT had SU 46, PU 42, 2M run 19:36. Yay I made significant improvement and passed the push up event. I didn't make weight yet at that particular moment but a couple of weeks later I weighed in at 178 which put me under the standard weight by 1# which makes me perfectly in compliance with army height weight standards.

Yesterday we didn't do height/weight but the DAPFT had some good results. I did 55 sit ups, 46 push ups, and a 18:10 on the 2M run. Hey, that means I passed 2 of three yay. I also improved my run time by 1:26 which is huge.

So I still have to work on the run but as the pattern shows, I will completely pass my APFT at Fort Riley. Then all I have to do is work for that 300.