Sunday, June 25, 2006

Back to AMEDD museum!!

This morning was interesting and fun. I was able to sleep in till 0730 (that's really late). Then we had an appointment with the AMEDD museum at 1030 and had to drop off our duffels with some of our ftx gear at 1000.
The tour was great though we had to watch the same movie that the vetcorps group had watched two days prior. I did pay attention to the part of the tour which I could hear but the guide wasn't doing a very good job of sounding off or waiting until we were in an area to start talking (yes I know that is hard to do). But there is an amazing and growing collection of army medical memorabilia. One of the most interesting exhibits at the museum is its WWII ambulance train car. The train car was equipped with hospital beds, doctor beds, a kitchen, dining facility and other items necessary for long distance transport of sick or wounded patients.
The group with whom I rode to the museum this morning then decided to go to lunch at Godfathers pizza. The pizza was very good but I think it'll be the only pizza I should enjoy while I'm down here as it is extremely unhealthful.
Tomorrow I will go to church at 0800 and then pack to head out on our FTX.
On other news, anyone who reads this should keep my grandfather in their prayers as he had open heart surgery two days ago and is just today beginning the long road to recovery. They are going to take the ventillator off this evening and hopefully he will do well without it. And of course it's always good to keep in mind those who are spending countless hours nearby and that they are sleep deprived and need to be careful driving and doing their daily buisness. As long as were on a prayer list I think rain for Ames needs to be in the picture as Karly has been mentioning the lack of it on a regular basis and last but certainly not least we need to mention all of my colleagues who are serving our country in OIE, OEF and other deployments, that their missions allow their safe return and that all which still needs to be accomplished will be done well before the general public of the US gets their panties in a bunch and force the politicians to pull the Army out before there is stability.
Speaking of which I have a pet peeve which has come about even more since joining the military. I can't stand the people who complain about the US and the Army and the President and don't appreciate the sacrifice of the hundred and thousands of men and women who have given their lives and time so that those who complain have the freedom to do so. It seems obvious that they don't actually appreciate the freedoms which they live with and that they are certainly not willing to give any of their time, money or abilities so that others may enjoy even a hint of the freedoms which we have as US citizens. I am getting the feeling right now that the more time I spend working with the soldiers who are giving their lives to help others be free, the more I WILL NOT tolerate the individuals who slander and desecrate the sacrifice (ultimate or otherwise) which those soldiers are giving voluntarily.
Peace, love and happiness be to all who lay their eyes on these words.