Sunday, June 18, 2006

This morning marked a most interesting experience. It was kind of a shock and awe kind of times.
I woke up at 0600 and was planning on walking to church at the main chapel on post. I headed off at about 0700. I arrived at the chapel for the service which was listed as "protestant traditional". There were about 50 people there of which there were quite a few veterinarians. I was informed that the chaplain was a lutheran. His name is Chaplain James Benson. He had a very interesting sermon which was by no means what I expected from a lutheran pastor but it was good nonetheless.
After the service was over as I was walking out I was asked by a lady wether I would be jogging or walking back to the hotel. I said casually that I was hoping to find a ride back. She volunteered shortly thereafter. I met her outside of the chapel and we were walking toward the car and she said her husband was just dropping of some newspapers for recycling and we'd meet him in just a second.
We walked up to the car and I was introduced as was he. His name is Floyd Baker. His wife decided to jump up into the rumble seat of their little S10 pickup and let me have the passenger seat. So I got in and just started chatting. When he dropped me off he gave me his best and said that they hoped to see me at all of the services while I'm on post and he wants to meet Karly. I was just happy to make a new friend here in San Antonio.
Shortly after that is when my shock and awe kicked in. As I walked around the back of the truck to head up to the hotel I just casually glanced down at the bumper and was surprised to see two stars. I was at that point thinking naw it can't be. So I headed up to my room here and looked up Floyd Baker on AKO and lo and behold the wonderful gentleman who gave me a ride home and wants to see me again was none other than retired Major General Floyd W. Baker. Wow. I have since then just been in kind of an awe state.
I find it to be a wonderful thing that someone who has been in such an influential position in the military would be so kind and generous. It definitely shows the integrity of the person behind the position and how we are all in then end just people.