Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we have culture shock!!
I've had it before and I'm sure I'll have it again and right now I certainly have culture shock. So you ask why is this culture shock? Well I'll tell you. El Paso could also be known as Mexico. There are more Mexicans in this town than Americans I think. It has an air of Mexico, the restaurants are all in spanish, the people all speak spanish, there are about 25 radio stations, of which 3 are all in english, it is pretty much mexico except higher prices. Ft. Bliss is however a little haven of Americans. The majority of people here are not Mexican.

More culture shock. MILITARY. Holy cow things are more different than I ever imagined. Today I've been called sir more times than I think I had for the rest of my life prior to this. I was saluted by a number of soldiers and when Cpt. Arakaki and I were out getting me straightened away with the accounts office, we visited the food inspections section where we even had a soldier stand at attention when we entered the room, that's the first time that's happened to me.

More on the shock thing. This evening as I was going to the mess hall I was greeted in the parking lot by no less than 50 privates dawning M-16s and getting ready to march. I'm guessing they marched over to the mess hall after a day of training and marched to somewhere to end the night. Well then I entered the mess hall and it became obvious very quickly that I was definitely the highest ranked soldier there. Fortunately I was going incognito in civilian clothes. This probably made it easier for me to sit and talk to some people. Anyway, after dinner, which was very good, I headed back to my suite. Yes, I said suite. It is complete with 3 rooms, a large bedroom with the desk I am on and a queen sized bed, a bathroom with a large shower, and a large living room with a 30" TV and DVD player. The only thing I'm missing is a full kitchen but instead I get a fridge, freezer and microwave combo.

So my first day was fun. I did a couple of physicals, proved my phlebotomy skills, and was in charge of anesthesia on an MWD who was having his tail removed due to a chronic wound. I was given the small "spare office" to be mine while I'm here, it has a nice desk and computer with a comfy leather chair. I will likely be studying in this office regularly.

Till later, I must talk to the love of my life now.