Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Led not by a fear of heights so much as a desire to return to my wife I said to Sgt. J I will go no further!!
Yesterday, a small group of us (Cpt. Arakaki, Sgt. Johannesen, Sgt. J's son, and I) decided that we were going to attempt the Ron Coleman trail in the Franklin Mountains State Park. This trail to our knowledge was not exceptionally difficult, rather it was just listed as difficult on the trail map which Karly and I aquired the week before.
The trail is registered as being 3.8 miles long spanning the park from McKelligon Canyon to Trans-mountain road with a 40 foot climb.
As we began the hike very close to the trailhead while starting the initial ascent to the saddle we went up about a 40 foot climb which was at about 60 degrees. We thought that was going to be the roughest part but guess what, we were wrong.
As we continued on the trail which went along the ridge atop the mountains we noticed that the majority of the trail was within a couple of feet from the rock face. Continuing on we reached about the 1mile mark where the trail crosses from east to west and just about got blown off the mountain. Then the fun began.
Once we reached the west face of the mountains things got sticky. It started with a 12 foot climb that was somewhat protected but still kind of scary. So we all scaled the first little bump only to find the trail was a questionable hike along a 45 degree top of a cliff face which went down about 40-50 ft. but it wasn't too bad so we passed that 100+ft and the trail got a little easier. then the ascent. We started to go up and the trail got harder. Then we reached the point where I took the picture below of Sgt. J's son on the rock face which was the easiest section of the 40 foot climb. Keep in mind we're already at 6200ft altitude and about 1500+ feet up on another rock face. So We all conquered our fear of heights and made it up that first 15ft to the window which is the picture of the city below.

The 3rd picture is where Sgt. J and I perched below the window to take in the view and attempt to keep from dying. It was from this position which I called my lovely wife and said pray for us we aren't going any further.

Call us wimps for not making it, call us whatever you want. We didn't have the proper gear, strength, stamina, nor the attitude to do the whole trail. Some time we might make it but I am not into risking my life for a good picture. I have too much going for me at home (I LOVE YOU KARLY).



Continuing on. We scaled the cliff back down and headed back to the trail head. I must say though the trail back was a lot harder. I didn't realize until the trip back with my weary legs, the fear of height and will to live kicked in that we truly were hiking on what I would in retrospect consider a truly dangerous trail.

Karly did a good job of finding out just how dangerous it was by finding an article about a death in July of 2005 which happened below the very spot where I prayed to God and turned back. Apparently that is not the only casualty that the Ron Coleman trail has taken either.
I a so very glad that we decided to turn back for our safety and perhaps next time we will have the proper equipment so that we can climb safely to the next part of the trail. Or perhaps we could convince the state park that it would be a good idea to put in a permanent steel cable so that casualties don't happen off of that rock face.

Till later. My best to all. Posted by Picasa