Today was very fun.
I had the opportunity to get M9 qualified. So I did. The process started yesterday with PMI (primary instruction) where I learned the basics of the weapon. Then at 0600 we left this morning for the range where we would live fire and if we were good enough we would qualify. We got to the range and it was quite a set up. I of course have never been to a military range before so it was all new to me. But the area was quite picturesque with a mountain backdrop on a desert sage brush and cactus foreground. Right in front of us we had a row of 20 firing positions with 7 pop-up targets on each. The objective of course was to hit the target when it pops up thereby making it fall down.
I was in the second group for qualification. The first group was security guards from Beaumont who had to qualify. We loaned them our kevlar and watched as they attempted to get it done. Unfortunately, I can say that I don't feel very secure when it comes to Beaumonts cops. Fortunately they aren't MP's and they generally don't have to even carry a weapon because it took most of them 2 tries to qualify.
Anyway, my round commenced and I have never shot an M9 (9mm) before so I was a little wary of the weapon. We had one shot for familiarization and no practice with loading or unloading. Thus my faulter when I was reloading on the 2nd target run.
So to make the story short. I qualified so all is good. I also learned that larger groups follow more of the hurry up and wait theory of military service. When I'm with just the VTF things happen fairly quickly but today I think we spent most of our time waiting on people to do what should have been easily accomplished in half the time that it took. But I guess that's why they do training so that those who are inefficient can become more proficient. I just wish more people would be self sufficient rather than having to have things given to them with a silver spoon. Intuition is a good thing.
Friday, February 17, 2006
Posted by Paul at 08:14
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|