Just like home!! Only a little different.
Today has been interesting to say the least. This morning we were learning about the culture and language of Korea. It was a fun class taught by Koreans. Unfortunately, the field trip scheduled for this afternoon was cancelled on account of snow. That brings me to the title of the post. Apparently it has been snowing at home in Kansas as well recently. All I can say is that my contacts which told me the climate in Korea is similar to that of Kansas are right. The biggest difference is the monsoon season which I will get to experience. But the snow is beautiful especially with the neat Korean archetecture.
This afternoon I have also discovered that it will be easier to learn the language with a little help from someone who knows the language. I discovered this as I was trying to decipher hangul and it's translations in the phrase book and stumbled on a couple of puzzling character sets with pronunciations which didn't seem to fit the alphabet given in the book. When I took the book up to the information desk they told me the alphabet in the book was missing a couple of sounds. This does not help my cause of learning the language very much now does it? I think I'm going to try and find a better book for learning and only use this book for the pocket guide to phrases (which has already come in quite handy).
Lesson for the day:
an-neong-haseo - Hello
kamsa-hamneeda - Thank You
The following are three views from my window. They are of the garden which is behind the Dragon Hill Lodge (a DOD run resort).

Friday, January 11, 2008
Posted by Paul at 16:44
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|